Introduction

Hi, I'm Ben Hazell. I used to blog here about the media, but now I work there I don't write here anymore.
I'm the Web Publishing Editor at Telegraph.co.uk - I find better ways to tell stories, developing tools, training and practice for journalists.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, LibraryThing, Spotify, and occasionally writing on Telegraph.co.uk

The Blog

Rarely updated now, used during Journalism MA at the University of Sheffield.

The Press Gazette Awards

Sunday 29 June 2008
I went to London this weekend for the Press Gazette Student Journalism Awards with the reps from Sheffo.

All the post-grads had been shortlisted as a team for our local election coverage, and Rhoda was up for Best Student Interviewer.

Rhoda won, which was excellent, and then proceeded to amuse us all by clambering across the lighting rig to reach the stage. We cheered her desire to venture where no other student journalists dared, clapped her efforts to take the path of most resistance, and hi-fived her refusal to look happy about the award on stage.

The rest of us, the Election Team for which I was simply a reperesentative, lost out to Homefront, a glossy magazine. On reflection, we didn't really have a hope in a category where every other finalist was a highly polished showcase periodical. Our huge cross platform effort, produced live and unedited over two days of elections, was probably just too sprawling to be taken in by the judges. It's a shame as it's some of the work I'm most proud of this year, and the closest we've come to real newsroom pressures.

I hope that doesn't seem too churlish. It's a shame we didn't get to see the other entries properly and I'm sure they were fantastic and well deserving. I just don't feel like we were really in the same contest.

The idea of entering each medium separately next year was discussed with perhaps the website or magazine alone standing a greater chance than the whole cross platform extravaganza, but this would destroy the whole purpose of converged work.

Still, we discussed our loss on the way home and concluded you can still put "Award winning" Election Project on your CVs, as the tutors at least won awards for it. And when you talk it over at interview, they never need to see all the typos that spoiled the final product.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, please. Leave your name, don't be shy.

 
/* Google Analytics */