Introduction

Hi, I'm Ben Hazell. I used to blog here about the media, but now I work there I don't write here anymore.
I'm the Web Publishing Editor at Telegraph.co.uk - I find better ways to tell stories, developing tools, training and practice for journalists.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, LibraryThing, Spotify, and occasionally writing on Telegraph.co.uk

The Blog

Rarely updated now, used during Journalism MA at the University of Sheffield.

Good books for Kindle

Monday 1 November 2010
I've had a Kindle for a few months now and it's changed my reading habits.
I find I'm buying new releases for hardback prices because older novels are not always available. I don't feel ripped off - I'm enjoying reading new releases for a change, something I'd have never considered when that involved dragging a brick of print round town.
However, it is frustrating to find great, bestselling books from a decade ago that aren't available as ebooks in online stores yet. Especially when they're available for free, if I'm prepared to pirate. And I'm not. Yet. But there is only so long I'll keep prodding the 'request from publisher' button on Amazon.

I've just been asked to recommend a few good books that are available for the Kindle though, so I've trawled by memories, scanned my shelves & looked up a few of the best, which I'll re-post here for anyone else getting started with a Kindle who wants to be more like me.


Pattern Recognition by William Gibson

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold

Makers by Cory Doctrow (Free)

And You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers


Generation A by Douglas Coupland


And now if you could all do me a favour in return, go look up Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, American Gods by Neil Gaiman and Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds, and hammer the 'Request from Publisher' button on Amazon, the publishing industry might get the message.
Keep up with demand or we'll hit the black market.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, please. Leave your name, don't be shy.

 
/* Google Analytics */